Thanks for pledging! - Share this with your friends
Thank you for your pledge! We'll be in touch once the campaign meets its goal, and again when it closes, so you know we'll be charging your card.
The Violent Vagabond - HMB World Champs
By Rob McIntyre
I want to embed this project somewhere
NZ $3,020 pledged
39 people pledged
NZ $2,000 minimum target
Pledges will only be confirmed if the target is reached by: 27/05/2014 at 12:00 AM (NZST)Make a Pledge
The Violent Vagabond Hmb World Champs
Project 2014-05-03 11:10:35 +1200
Help me SMASH my way around Europe, taking on the best the world can offer in Historic Medieval Battle!
The sport is Historic Medieval Combat (HMB). This is full-contact, full-force , medieval armoured combat with steel weapons. There are links at the bottom of this page which may help get to know this new sport.
I have been honoured with selection to represent New Zealand at the world champs "The Battle of the Nations" (BotN) in Trogir Croatia in June, as part of Team New Zealand. As a team, NZ have also been invited to fight in the Austrian Cup the week before BotN. After BotN I will be staying in Europe for a month.
The sport is new here, and is growing quickly. New Zealand sent it's first team to BotN last year, and has also funded an internation certifying marshall to come here last year, so we now have an internationally accredited marshal (ref/umpire) and can hold official ranking fights!
This project is to fund my accomodation and travel within Europe.
The more money you pledge, the more I can do to grow the sport in NZ and our profile overseas!
Beyond BotN, this trip will include:
- Training with as many European clubs as I can, so that I can bring new skills, tactics and information back to New Zealand to help this new sport grow here. We need to understand the tactics and training methods used in Europe as much as possible, and time on the ground with some of the most experienced people in the sport will allow me to bring some of this home.
- Fighting in as many European HMB tournaments as I can get to
- Becoming New Zealand's first fighter in an official HMB 'pro-fight' in "The Red Lion Challenge" in Luxembourg with three rounds of uninhibited smashing with grappling and takedowns. This will boost my international ranking, whether I win or lose, which in turn raises the international profile of the NZ team.
- Visiting museams, national armouries and historical sites, throughout Europe, focussed on armour, weapons and historical research. All HMB armour must be referenced and verifiable reproductions of actual medieval equipment. This is not the easiest task from a country only 170 years old ;) So any information and pictures I can bring back will be invaluable.
- I will be visiting historical sites in Poland, with a view to future opportunities to bring my skills as one of the only makers of medieval and viking locks in the world, to them. The museums and sites I visit will let me see extant locks from these periods, and increase my understanding of the methods used in their construction.
- Competing in the HMB tournament and reenactment at Grunwald, the largest medieval battle reenactment in the whole of Europe.
Thank You for taking the time to read about my endeavours, please consider making a pledge, large or small.
AKA Master Grim of Thornby (Society for Creative Anachronism)
You need to pledge to see this update.
22/05/2014 at 6:32 AM
Wow, what a day it was yesterday. From under $1k to over $2k in under 10 hours, and I was at work the whole time, getting text updates and fractic 'arm-waving' phone calls.
Thank you so much to all the pledgers, and to all those that helped spread the word.
You need to pledge to see this update.
14/05/2014 at 6:48 AM
Here is a picture of a copper lock, by Thornforge. They are held closed by two sprung barbs and come with 2 keys.
New Reward: DVD of 'The Violent Vagabond'
13/05/2014 at 7:01 AM
Just added a new reward, check it out!
A DVD so you can revel in the glory for years to come.