Thanks for pledging! - Share this with your friends
Thank you for your pledge! We'll be in touch once the campaign meets its goal, and again when it closes, so you know we'll be charging your card.
I want to embed this project somewhere
NZ $1,655 pledged
28 people pledged
NZ $1,600 minimum target
Pledges will only be confirmed if the target is reached by: 02/08/2011 at 7:00 AM (NZST)Make a Pledge
Project 2011-05-09 05:18:48 +1200
An exhibition made up of a series of works which present pūrākau (māori mythological stories) from the Taranaki region.
Through both visual and narrative explorations of these stories, the audience will not only discover beautiful tales of the Taranaki landmarks surrounding them but will also to be able to explore concepts of Mātauranga Māori presented by these stories.
It will be an Expedition Exhibition. The presentation of the work will be based on geographic and tribal boundaries and the audience will travel from one region to another as they explore these stories.
The stories are directly related to points on the map and landmarks that stand before our very eyes, bringing ancient mythology into a very present existence and contemporary context.
This project is aimed at not only a local audience and visitors to the Taranaki region but also to New Zealanders wanting to understand more of the cultural frameworks within which we exist.
I am currently in negotiations to interview representatives of Taranaki iwi, each project participant sharing one pūrākau.
Each pūrākau will be beautifully illustrated by a series of five or six pieces.
1 - A photographic portrait of the narrator of the story.
- This gives importance to the oral history of the Pūrākau and Māori tradition.
- It creates a personality-based connection between the story, the narrator and the viewer/ reader.
- I realize that different iwi have different versions and ideas regarding these tales so the story will be presented as told by the person photographed.
- 2 - A written version of the narration.
- 3 - A unique artwork speaking to an element, moment or quality within the story.
- 4 - A photograph of the landmark or natural phenomena (for example, mist) described in the story.
- 5 - A map indicating location of landmark described in the story.
- 6 - A brief biography / whakapapa of the narrator and their iwi.
All pledgers will receive Nicole's most thankful and humble gratitude for helping make her dream into a reality so please don't leave your donations as “Anonymous”.
Hey! Thanks for checking out this project.
We haven't made any updates yet, follow us if you want to be notified when we do.